Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm not a greenie anymore...

It's been a crazy week, and i think it’s going to get a lot crazier this week.
I'll begin with the end.
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to baptize someone. One of our investigators decided she would get baptized this week. She asked me to perform the baptism, and so i was able to finally put on those white pants i brought with me. I seem to have gained some weight lately. Normally, we try to get members to do the baptizing, but i didn't have time to try help her pick out a member. It was a rather good baptismal service.
This week we've been waiting for the official word on transfers. We finally got the 'news' on Thursday that my companion is being transferred to work in the office, and I’m going to be training in Novo-k. We made the rounds with the members so that he could say good-bye, and make promises in my behalf that I’m not entirely sure I’m going to fulfill... that was annoying. But not as annoying as all the members who would say "what? Elder Ellis is staying? He's training?! A greenie with a greenie?!!" That's pretty much how i celebrated my one year mark. Friday, we went to stallins bunker again. Really isn't worth going twice, but i was one of only 2 elders in the group that have already been. I'm going to suggest we go to the zoo-park next cycle... maybe I’ll get to pet a lion. We took our investigator with us and she really enjoyed it.
Saturday, we headed back to samara for a baptismal service. Emanual (he's Nigerian) was baptized. Our investigator came with us, AND invited her friend. After the baptism Elder Bahr and i took a taxi with our investigators back to Novo-k. Elder Maksymov has an early visa trip, so we're officially not companions anymore. On the way home in the taxi with elder Bahr (he'll be Elder Maksymov's companion) our investigator expressed her desire to be baptized... "The sooner the better". Well, she fulfills all the requirements of baptism. So i went to work. I was on the phone from 9:30 to 11:00 Saturday night, Sunday morning i got back on the phone at 7:00 and was making calls till church started at 10 (aside from a 45 min lesson to fill in all the gaps of our previous teaching) I got a three hour break from my phone for church. Then after church got back on the phone until the baptism started around 6. In all the hurry i didn't even think to grab an extra pair of underwear or a towel, or the fact that i didn't know how to baptize someone in Russian. But it all worked out, it was a good baptismal service (3 people actually got baptized, all of them had decided to go ahead with Sunday after they were at the baptismal service on Saturday). It was a miraculous and very exhausting day for many of us. But, it wasn't a very comfortable ride home.
But, we had a baptism. We helped another soul come unto Christ, and qualify for the blessings that Heavenly Father wants to get them.
Wednesday I’ll find out who my new companion is. I'm very interested to see how training goes...
I love you all!
love, elder Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment