Monday, July 25, 2011

Happy One-Year week!

The weeks continue to get faster.
3 more days and I’ll have already served half my mission. This time last year I was packing my bags… wait no… that’s a lie. I was probably swimming, camping or eating ice cream. I remember that I didn’t pack my bags until the last minute. Well… that’s an exaggeration. It was the last 6 or 7 hours before I started. Apparently that’s all the time I needed? I’ve survived thus far.
This week in Russia has been mildly hot. But I heard from an investigator at church that in America there are record highs up to 50 degrees Celsius. It came up when he was trying to figure out what are beliefs are on hell and where exactly it is located. He suggested maybe in America.. in the state of misery. I then convinced him that it was merely the “refiners’ fire”. He’s quite the character. Speaks English quite well and is “fascinated by the English language”. I’m just glad to have a break from Russian once in a while.
I also spent a good deal of time with him trying to explain the plan of salvation and just how powerful the atonement of Jesus Christ is. He couldn’t fathom how even some of the most sinful people could deserve an inheritance so great as the Telestial Kingdom. Of course they don’t deserve it. But certainly they will receive such. For we know that to return to live with God, we are required to be perfect. I’m nowhere near perfect, and neither is my companion. We don’t deserve such an opportunity. But if the power of Christ’s Atonement can give me that opportunity, than it can certainly give the vilest of sinners an opportunity to live in a kingdom better than this world. But of course they will have to suffer for their sins before our final inheritance if they choose not to accept the Atonement of Jesus Christ through ordinances, such as baptism, that were set forth by Christ in His earthly ministry.
Other fun things about church yesterday, Cat man decided to come without pants. Luckily he was at least wearing some old long johns. I don’t think he’s going to get baptized anytime soon. Even though he admits that he understands that it’s necessary. God did give us all the freedom to choose for ourselves.
Transfers are coming up at the end of the week. My companion is getting transferred and I’ll most likely be training? It’s still a secret. And I’m not in connection with the office couple anymore so it’s hard for me to gather leaky info. Only time will tell. Maybe I also won’t be in Novo-k?
Well… that is all the wonderful and good news that I have this week.
But more importantly, that’s all the time I have for this week.
I love you all! Hope you don’t melt.
Read your scriptures and you won’t be burned!
Love, Elder Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment